I am pleased to attach the Economy / Market Snapshot covering all the major events in December, 2019.
Indian Markets registered a gain of 1% last month taking the markets to another all time high. IT gained by 4%, Auto by 2%, Bank Nifty by 0.50% while Pharma and FMCG lost about 2%. FII’s pumped in 7,400 crores in the equity market while Domestic Funds sold about 2,000 crores. For the Calendar Year 2019, FII’s have invested Rs.1,16,250 crores while Domestic Funds have invested Rs.5,75,000 crores. Indian Rupee closed at Rs.71.38 for 1 US $.
On the Global markets front, it was all GREEN last month. Hong Kong market went up by 7%, Shanghai up by 6%, Nasdaq up by 4%, London up by 3%, DOW and Tokyo up by 2%. On the commodities side, Gold went up by 3% and Silver went up by 5%. Crude gained about 6%.
Year 2019 has ended on a high note for the markets and Year 2020 has begun with lots of hope and positivity. In the calendar year 2019, Nasdaq registered the highest increase year on year of 35%, DOW and Shanghai by 22%, Tokyo by 18%, India and UK markets by 12% and Hong Kong by 9% giving the investors handsome returns from the equity market.
Happy New Year 2020 to you and your family and we pray that you are showered with happiness, wealth and health in the years to come!
- Month-long winter session of Parliament ends: Lok Sabha productivity at 116% and Rajya Sabha at 99%.
- Parliament passes Citizenship(Amendment) bill, 2019; gets President’s assent, becomes Act.
- Major Bills passed: Bills to ban e-cigarettes, limit SPG protection to Prime Minister & immediate family of PM and to merge UTs of Dadra & Nagar Haveli, & Daman & Diu.
- Cabinet clears National Population Register, approves over ₹8,500 crore for updating.
- Protests intensify across country; Centre remains firm on CAA and NRC.
- JMM-Congress-RJD alliance wins polls with clear majority; JMM’s Hemant Soren takes oath as CM.
- Maharashtra: Ajit Pawar back as deputy CM, Congress’s Nana Patole elected as Speaker.
- BJP sweeps Karnataka by poll; BS Yediyurappa retains govt with 12 seats, Congress gets 2, JDS draws blank.
- 2+2 dialogue: India, US sign industrial security agreement for transfer of defence technology.
- India & Australia hold third 2+2 dialogue, discusses various issues related to bilateral engagements.
- NSA Ajit Doval and Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi hold 22nd round of India-China border talks.
- S Jaishankar meets Iran Foreign Minister Javad Zarif; agree to accelerate work on Chabahar Port project.
- Swedish Royals and Mauritius PM Pravind Jugnauth visit India.
- India gifts patrol vessel “”KAAMIYAAB”” to Maldives, launches RuPay card.
- Rahul Gandhi on visit to South Korea, meets country’s Prime Minister Lee Nak-yon.
- Japan PM Shinzo Abe’s postpones visit and Bangladesh Foreign Minister cancels visit amid NE violence.
- Centre makes standard format for ration cards, asks states to follow it.
- Aadhaar crosses 125 crore mark, used 37,000 crore times since inception.
- Amit Shah sets 2024 deadline for NRC, says all infiltrators to be expelled by then.
- Gen Bipin Rawat named as India’s 1st Chief of Defence Staff; Lt Gen M M Naravane as next Army Chief.
- Govt sanctions ₹100 crore from Nirbhaya Fund to set up women help desks in police stations.
- INX Media case: Supreme Court grants bail to P Chidambaram after 106 days of custody.
- 2002 Gujarat riots: Nanavati commission gives clean chit to former CM Modi.
- Jammu and Kashmir: Farooq Abdullah’s detention under PSA extended by three months.
- Arvind Kejriwal teams up with Prashant Kishor for poll campaign in Delhi.
- Mamata government curtails Bengal Governor’s powers as Chancellor of state universities.
- SC appoints 3-member panel to probe killing of Hyderabad rape accused by the Telangana police.
- SC refuses to pass order on plea for protection for women entering Sabrimala temple.
- India successfully launches RISAT-2BR1, an earth observation satellite, along with 9 commercial satellites.
- Pinaka missile and BrahMos missile successfully test-fired.
- Trump impeached by US House for abuse of power, obstruction of Congress, to face Senate trial.
- Kamala Harris ends campaign for 2020 presidential race citing financial restraints.
- US House approves resolution supporting two-state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
- UK PM Boris Johnson wins election; unveils legislative plan to pull Britain out of the EU on 31 January.
- Former Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf sentenced to death in the high treason case.
- North Korea conducts another ‘crucial test’ that would strengthen ‘nuclear deterrent’.
- Saudi sentences five to death, three to jail for killing Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi.
- Australia bushfires: New South Wales declares emergency for second time in 2 months.
- Afghan President Ashraf Ghani re-elected for a second five-year term.
- Sri Lankan President Gotabaya Rajapaksa suspends Parliament ahead of snap polls.
- Finland elects Sanna Marin, 34, as world’s youngest serving Prime Minister.
- Greta Thunberg named 2019 Time Person of the Year.
- Hong Kongers mark half-year protest anniversary with huge rally.
- EU visitors will need e-visas after Brexit: UK government.
- Macron pension reform: France braces for severe disruption amid massive strike in decades.
- Myanmar’s Aung San Suu Kyi denies ‘genocidal intent’ in Rohingya case in the UN’s top court.
- UN approves resolution condemning human rights abuses against Myanmar’s Rohingya, other minorities.
- South Asian Games 2019 medals tally: India on top with 218 medals.
- Ind vs WI: India clinch T20 and ODI series 2-1.
- India is the most successful ODI team of the decade with 157 wins from 249 ODIs followed by Aussies.
- Virat Kohli tops ICC Test rankings, Steve Smith slips to second; Pat Cummins heads bowlers’ list.
- Virat Kohli ends 2019 as leading run-scorer across formats.
- IPL auction: Pat Cummins becomes most expensive foreign buy; goes to KKR for a whopping ₹15.50 crore.
- S Mandhana, J Goswami, Shikha Pandey, Poonam Yadav named in ICC Women’s ODI Team of the Year.
- ICC announces extension of its partnership with OPPO till Sept 2023.
- Manu Bhaker, Anish Bhanwala clinch gold medals at 63rd National Shooting Championship.
- Leander Paes to retire from professional Tennis in 2020.
- Roger Federer becomes the first living Swiss to have a coin minted in their honour.
- Lionel Messi wins record sixth Ballon d’Or title, overtakes Ronaldo;
- WADA bans Russia from the Olympics for four years over doping.
- RBI keeps repo rate unchanged at 5.15%; cuts GDP growth forecast for current fiscal from 6.1% to 5%.
- GST collections up 6% at ₹1,03,492 crore in November, crosses ₹1 trillion after three months.
- Centre releases GST compensation of ₹35,298 crores to states & union territories.
- 38th GST meeting: Council fixes 28% uniform tax rate for lottery, extends GSTR 9 & 9C return filing.
- Finance Ministry sets ₹1.1 lakh crore monthly GST collection target.
- Govt to infuse ₹2,153 crore in Allahabad Bank, ₹2,142 crore in UCO Bank and ₹4,630 crore in IOB.
- Govt defers FASTag deadline to January 15.
- Nirmala Sitharaman unveils ₹102 lakh crore of infra projects for next 5 years.
- IPOs worth ₹51,000 crore lapsed in 2019 as fund raising hit lowest since 2014.
- CSB Bank, Ujjivan Small Finance Bank, Somany Home innovation, Prince Pipes and Fittings make their stock market debut.
- Cabinet approves ordinance to further amend Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code.
- RBI introduces new Prepaid Payment Instrument for daily grocery payments with a limit of 10,000/month.
- Businesses with ₹50 crore annual revenue to be penalised for not providing RuPay, UPI.
- NEFT facility made available round the clock from December 16.
- Bank of Baroda signs SPA with Ansa Merchant Bank to sell Trinidad & Tobago operations.
- PNB under-reported bad loans by ₹2,617 crore in FY19: RBI report.
- National, United & Oriental Insurances seek capital infusion of ₹12,000 crore from the Centre.
- CCI approves stake buy in SBI General Insurance by Napean Opportunities LLP.
- NCLAT restores Cyrus Mistry as Tata Group Chairman, rules N Chandrasekaran’s appointment as illegal.
- Nirav Modi declared fugitive economic offender by PMLA court, 2nd after Vijay Mallya.
- Govt gives nod to NHAI to set up Infrastructure Investment Trust & monetise national highway projects.
- ADB advances $490 million loan to upgrade Madhya Pradesh roads and $206 million to Tamil Nadu.
- Centre’s nod for 22 express highways worth ₹1.5 lakh crore in Karnataka.
- Cabinet approves the restructuring of the Railway Board, merging cadres.
- Kia Motors officially opens India production plant in Anantapur, Andhra Pradesh.
- M&M picks 36.63% stake in Meru, as part of its ₹201.5 crore deal to acquire 55% shareholding.
- Tesla delivers first China-made Model 3 sedans in just under a year.
- Mitsubishi Corp and NTT to acquire 30% stake in Digital Mapping Company HERE Technologies.
- Fiat Chrysler, Peugeot owner PSA agree binding merger in $50 billion deal.
- Govt launches the 4th round of Regional Connectivity Scheme UDAN.
- NCLT allows extension of Jet Airways’ resolution process by 90 days.
- Debt-ridden Air India receives ₹500-crore guarantee from Centre.
- UP Cabinet approves Zurich Airport International as developer for Jewar airport.
- Boeing suspends production of 737 Max model involved in fatal crashes for first time in two decades.
- US Fed keeps interest rates unchanged, indicates no changes through 2020.
- Saudi Aramco debut in Riyadh’s Tadawul stock exchange.
- US trade deficit falls 7.6% in October to 16-month low on decline in Chinese imports.
- Trump approves US-China trade deal to halt December 15 tariffs.
- U.S. House passes new North American trade pact to replace NAFTA.
- Digital Communication Commission approves ₹4.9 lakh crore spectrum auction plan.
- Over 92,000 staff of BSNL, MTNL opt for VRS.
- Airtel launches Wi-Fi calling in Mumbai, Kolkata, Andhra, Karnataka, TN.
- DoT clears ₹1,500 crore for BSNL, BBNL to pay dues to vendors.
- TRAI postpones abolition of telecom interconnection fees by a year.
- Bharti Telecom seeks ₹4,900 crore FDI nod; infusion to make Airtel foreign firm.
- Vodafone Idea Business Services, IBM collaborate to launch secure device management solution.
- Infosys to pay California $800,000 to settle allegations of workers misclassification, tax fraud.
- Google agrees to pay Australian authorities $327 million as tax settlement.
- OPEC agree to cut production by 500,000 barrels per day in the first quarter of 2020.
- Qatar Investment Authority picks 25% stake in Adani Transmission arm for ₹3,200 crore.
- Reliance, BP sign pact to set up 5,500 petrol pumps under Jio-BP brand.
- ArcelorMittal forms joint venture with Nippon Steel to run Essar Steel.
- India, ADB sign $250 million loan to expand energy efficiency investments.
- SoftBank’s subsidiary, SB Energy, to invest ₹30,000 crore in renewable energy in Gujarat.
- Govt asks e-commerce firms to file FDI compliance report annually.
- Walmart, Flipkart invest in Bengaluru-based Ninjacart.
- Xiaomi launches online lending app Mi Credit in India.
- SoftBank-backed Paytm raises $660 million from Alibaba arm Alipay.
- Lenskart’s valuation crosses $1.5 billion with SoftBank investing $231 million.
- Uber asked to suspend service in Colombia, after setbacks in UK and Germany.
- TCS and Elisa Smart Factory partner to deliver advanced analytics solutions to the manufacturing sector.
- Apple, Amazon, Google partner to make smart devices compatible with each other.
- Patanjali Ayurved completes acquisition of Ruchi Soya for ₹4,350 crore.
- Thomas Cook India signs pact for branding rights in India, Sri Lanka & Mauritius for £1.5 million.
- Pakistan, World Bank ink Khyber Pass economic agreement worth $406 million.
- Government allows 50% hike in prices of 21 widely used pharma items.
- Amazon brings Fire TV edition smart TVs to India, partners Onida.
- CDC Group makes $36 million equity investment in tech-enabled Indian logistics company Ecom Express.
- Nirmala Sitharaman, Roshni Nadar & Kiran Mazumdar among Forbes’ World’s 100 Most Powerful Women.
- India slips to 112th rank on gender gap index; in bottom 5 on health, economic fronts: WEF survey.
- Reliance Industries tops Fortune India 500 list ending IOC’s 10-year reign.
- Sundar Pichai named CEO at Google’s parent firm Alphabet.
- NSE appoints Girish Chandra Chaturvedi as Chairman.
- Anand Mahindra to step down as Exec Chairman of M&M, Pawan Goenka re-designated as MD & CEO.
- Siddharth Mittal succeeds Arun Chandavarkar as CEO, Joint MD of Biocon.
- Niranjan Hiranandani takes over as new ASSOCHAM President.
- Boeing fires Dennis Muilenburg, names David Calhoun as CEO amid Max crisis.
- Uber Co-Founder Travis Kalanick cuts all ties with Uber; leaves board, sells all shares.
|Indices||31-Dec||29-Nov||% 1M||01-Jan||% since Jan|
|Crude Brent $||66.00||62.43||5.72%||53.50||23.36%|
|Crude Nymex $||61.06||55.17||10.68%||45.31||34.76%|
|NIFTY SECTORAL INDICES|
|Sectors||BANK NIFTY||CNX IT||CNX AUTO||CNX FMCG||CNX PHARMA|
|% since Jan||17.41%||8.31%||-10.17%||-0.91%||-9.48%|
|INDIAN TRADE(USD MILLION)|
|Government Bond 10Y||6.55%|
|Forex Reserves $ M||454950|
|INSTITUTIONAL TRADING ACTIVITY|
|Particulars||FII (Rs.crore)||MF (Rs.crore)|
|Total 1 M||1934||48177|
|Total Since Jan||116251||575539|