- Global CIVID-19 cases exceed 83.8 million; US most-affected in world as tally crosses 20.4 million-mark.
- India COVID-19 tally crosses 10.28 million, recovery rate improves to 96.07%.
- India reports 25 cases of new COVID-19 strain as UK returnees test positive.
- Centre issues 113 pages guidelines for COVID-19 vaccination drive; first Phase to include 30 crore people.
- Farmers’ protest: SC adjourns hearing, asks Govt to consider putting farm laws on hold.
- Opposition lead by Rahul Gandhi, Sharad Pawar meets President, seeks repeal of farm laws.
- Farmers’ protest: Centre agrees to 2 of 4 demands of protesting farmers; next round of talks on Jan 4.
- 9 states successfully completes ‘one nation one ration card’ reform.
- Winter Session of Parliament scrapped due to COVID-19, Budget Session to take place in January.
- UK PM Boris Johnson accepts India’s invite, will be Republic Day parade chief guest.
- UK Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab calls on PM Modi; discuss various facets of strategic partnership.
- India, Nepal discuss trade and investments, propose developing of cross-border economic zone.
- PM Modi speaks to Qatar Amir; task force to be set up to boost Qatari investments into India.
- Rajnath Singh calls for joint efforts against threats of ‘bio-terrorism’ at ASEAN Defence Ministers’ Meet.
- EAM Jaishankar meets business leaders in Qatar; highlights investment opportunities in India.
- Army chief Gen. Naravane holds talks with UAE and top Saudi Generals.
- Army Chief General MM Naravane meets South Korean top military brass to bolster military ties.
- India and Uzbekistan sign nine agreements to strengthen strategic partnership.
- India and Bangladesh seal 7 pacts to expand cooperation in diverse areas, restore a cross-border rail link.
- PM Modi inaugurates world’s largest renewable energy park at Khavda, meets Farmers in Kutch.
- PM launches Ayushman Bharat PM-JAY SEHAT to ensure universal health coverage to people of J&K.
- PM Modi flags off India’s first ever driverless train, launches National Common Mobility Card.
- Education Ministry sets up task force for preparing roadmap on technical education in mother tongue.
- JEE-Mains to be held four times every year from next year; First exam from 23rd to 26th of Feb.
- PM Modi releases postal stamp to mark centenary celebrations of Aligarh Muslim University.
- Cabinet approves merger of four government-run film and media units with NFDC.
- Amit Shah lays foundation stone of medical college, law colleges in Assam.
- J&K DDC polls: Farooq Abdullah-led Gupkar alliance wins big in Kashmir, BJP in Jammu.
- Suvendu Adhikari, 5 TMC MLAs join BJP at Amit Shah’s rally in Midnapore.
- Maharashtra MLC Election: NCP-Congress coalition wins four seats; BJP bags 1.
- Hyderabad civic polls: Ruling TRS wins 55 seats, followed by BJP with 48 seats and AIMIM by 44 seats.
- MP cabinet gives nod to Religious Freedom Bill, forced conversion will invite 10-year-jail term, penalty.
- Arya Rajendran becomes India’s youngest Mayor from Kerala’s Thiruvananthapuram.
- Tamil Nadu grants permission to hold Jallikattu with COVID-19 restrictions.
- Defence Ministry approves acquisition of military hardware worth ₹28,000 crore.
- Navy test-fires anti-ship version of BrahMos supersonic cruise & Prithvi-2 Nuclear capable ballistic missiles.
- ISRO Successfully Launches India’s 42nd Communication Satellite CMS-01 from Sriharikota.
- PM Modi lays foundation stone for new Parliament building.
- Bombay HC stays transfer of Kanjurmarg land for Mumbai metro car shed.
- Indo-Islamic Cultural Foundation (IICF) unveils design of mosque, hospital to be built in Ayodhya.
- Almost 1 billion vaccine doses secured for low- and middle-income countries: WHO.
- Britain first among countries which have begun vaccinating their people against the COVID.
- 137,000 people in UK receive COVID vaccine in 1st week; 1 million Americans vaccinated in 10 days.
- US Vice President Mike Pence, Joe Biden, Kamala Harris publicly receive COVID-19 vaccine shot.
- New strain of Coronavirus identified in UK triggers series of travel bans ahead of holiday season.
- U.S. Electoral College confirms Joe Biden’s win.
- Biden names Janet Yellen as Treasury Secretary and ex-general Lloyd Austin as secretary of defense.
- U.S. House approves $2,000 Coronavirus aid checks sought by Trump.
- US Senate passes bill eliminating per-country cap for employment immigrant visas.
- UK PM Boris Johnson signs EU-UK trade deal after MPs vote to pass agreement.
- UN Chief Antonio Guterres urges global summit to declare ‘climate emergency’.
- UN backs Afghan peace talks in resolution, Russia votes `no’.
- Nepal PM Oli dissolves Parliament amidst power tussle.
- Israeli parliament moves to dissolve government; to hold snap election in March, fourth in two years.
- China 2nd nation to plant flag on the Moon; Chang’e 5 capsule brings 1st new moon samples in 44 years.
- Lebanon PM, former ministers charged over Beirut port blast.
- Bangladesh ships Rohingya refugees to remote island despite outcry.
- Govt to include Gatka, Kalaripayattu, Thang-Ta and Mallakhamba in Khelo India Youth Games 2021.
- BCCI approves 10 teams from 2022 IPL; calls for cricket’s inclusion in 2028 Olympics.
- Chetan Sharma is BCCI’s new chairman of selectors; Abey Kuruvilla, Debashish Mohanty included in panel.
- India vs Australia: Aus win ODI series 2-1, India wins T20 series 2-1, 4 – match Test series levelled at 1-1.
- Virat Kohli becomes fastest cricketer to score 12000 ODI runs, beats Sachin Tendulkar’s record.
- ICC ODI rankings: Virat Kohli, Rohit Sharma retain top two spots; Bumrah sits on 3rd spot.
- Virat Kohli named ICC Male Cricketer of the Decade, honoured with Sir Garfield Sobers Award.
- Cristiano Ronaldo wins Player of the year and ‘Gives’ it to Robert Lewandowski in remarkable gesture.
- All 28 states and 3 Union Territories choose Option-1 to meet GST implementation shortfall.
- Govt releases 9th instalment of ₹6,000 crore loan to states to meet GST shortfall.
- Cabinet approves ₹3,500 crore subsidy for sugar farmers, 5 crore sugarcane farmers to benefit.
- Cabinet gives nod to next round of spectrum auction.
- Commerce Ministry and AYUSH Ministry decide to set up an AYUSH Export Promotion Council.
- Cabinet approves setting up of public WiFi networks under ‘PM-WiFi Access Network Interface’.
- I&B Ministry issues an advisory on advertisements on Online gaming, Fantasy sports.
- Nitin Gadkari inaugurates National Highway projects in Nagaland, Karnataka, Rajasthan and Assam.
- World Bank approves four India projects worth over $800 million.
- Centre and West Bengal sign $500 million project to build Green National Highway Corridors.
- Centre proposes mandatory airbag for front passenger on all cars.
- FASTag mandatory from February 15, toll collection through FASTag crosses ₹80 crore per day for first time.
- Centre proposes mandatory airbag for front passenger on all cars.
- India’s first indigenously developed 100 Octane premium petrol launched.
- Nitin Gadkari unveils Vedic Paint made from cow dung, says ‘will boost rural economy’.
- Govt shells out ₹22,087 crore as interest towards recap bonds for banks.
- Government issues zero-coupon bonds worth ₹5,500 to recapitalise Punjab and Sind Bank.
- RBI leaves the repo rate unchanged at 4%, maintains status quo.
- RTGS to be made available 24X7 in next few days: RBI Governor.
- RBI asks banks to not declare dividend for FY21; retain profit made in FY20.
- ₹200 crore Lucknow Municipal Corporation Bonds list successfully on the BSE.
- Quick restaurant chain Burger King India, Mrs Bectors Food Specialities make their stock market debut.
- Kotak Mutual Fund launches India’s first international REIT fund of funds.
- Pfizer/BioNTech wins the global COVID vaccine race, vaccine rolled out first in UK.
- Aurobindo Pharma to make COVAXX’s potential COVID-19 vaccine for India, UNICEF.
- India’s first indigenous mRNA vaccine candidate receives approval to initiate human clinical trials.
- India to produce 300 million doses of Russian Sputnik V coronavirus vaccine in 2021
- UK, EU finalise post-Brexit trade deal after 10 months of negotiation; set to enter force on January 1.
- Bangladesh signs Preferential Trade Agreement (PTA) with Bhutan, its first since independence.
- Cuba to devaluate currency from January; peg exchange rate at 24 pesos per US dollar.
- Iraq’s Central Bank devalues Dinar by 22% to push Economy forward ahead of deficit.
- Bitcoin on a record breaking spree, breaches $27,000 to set all-time record high.
- OPEC+ agrees to increase output by 500,000 barrels a day in Jan 2021.
- Airtel, Nokia ink pact for 5G network rollout in Kenya.
- Nokia starts production of next generation 5G equipment at Chennai facility.
- US FCC orders carriers to remove Huawei equipment, starts proceeding to revoke China Telecom’s permit.
- Germany gives nod to Huawei to build 5G networks with security regulations.
- Audi begins manufacturing of A4 facelift in India; launch in early 2021.
- Fiat Chrysler to invest $150 million to set up Global Digital Hub in Hyderabad.
- Bajaj Auto signs MoU with Maharashtra govt to set up new manufacturing unit in Chakan.
- Amazon, Blackberry team up to create cloud-based vehicle software platform IVY.
- Infosys announces long-term strategic partnership with Daimler AG.
- Wipro inks $700 million digital & IT deal with German company METRO AG.
- Salesforce acquires Slack for $27.7 billion in its largest acquisition ever.
- Boeing’s updated 737 MAX completes first flight with media onboard.
- Ryanair buys 75 Boeing MAX jets in largest order since grounding.
- US lawmakers back $15 billion in airline payroll assistance.
- Lockheed Martin inks $4.4 billion deal to acquire Aerojet Rocketdyne.
- Boeing 737 MAX deemed safe to fly by European Union Aviation Safety Agency.
- Infosys, Rolls-Royce ink strategic partnership for aerospace engineering in India.
- Reliance to buy out IMG Worldwide from sports management joint venture for ₹52.08 crore.
- Alibaba hikes share buyback plan to $10 billion from $6 billion.
- Amazon, Amex, Daimler AG and Stripe join to Fund Software Developers in New GitHub Program.
- Sony to buy anime streaming service Crunchyroll from AT&T for $1.175 billion.
- Swiggy partners with PM’s AtmaNibhar Nidhi to bring over 36,000 street food vendors online.
- Reddit buys TikTok rival Dubsmash, to allow users to upload and stream short-form videos.
- Facebook launches collaborative music video app Collab for iOS users.
- Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo collaborate on shared safety standards for online gaming.
- CCI initiates investigation against cement companies over alleged anti-competitive behaviour.
- SC rejects Vedanta’s interim plea to inspect, operate closed Sterlite copper unit at Tuticorin.
- Nirav Modi’s remand extended by London court; final hearings in 2021.
- Vijay Mallya’s assets in France worth €1.6 million seized by ED.
- Delhi High Court dismisses Future Group plea against Amazon in $3.4 billion asset sale.
- French watchdog fines Google €100 million and Amazon €35 million over cookies law breach.
- Cairn wins arbitration in tax dispute; India asked to pay $1.2 billion in damages.
- China launches antitrust probe into tech giant Alibaba.
- IBM agrees to pay $24.25 million to resolve FCC probes over subsidies.
- UAE’s Lulu group to set up food processing centre in Jammu and Kashmir.
- SBI along with NPCI, Japan’s JCB launch contactless debit card.
- GoDaddy acquires US-based payment processor Poynt for $365 million.
- Ola to invest ₹2,400 crores to set up ‘the world’s largest scooter factory’ in Tamil Nadu.
- Star and Disney India’s Uday Shankar to take over as FICCI President for 2020-21.
- Uday Kotak to head Kotak Mahindra Bank for another 3 years.
- Flipkart board rejig: CEO Kalyan Krishnamurthy, HDFC’s Keki Mistry to join; Steuart Walton, 3 others exit.
- United Spirits names Hina Nagarajan as MD and CEO.
|Indices||31-Dec||30-Nov||% 1M||01-Jan||% since Jan|
|Crude Brent $||51.80||48.18||7.51%||66.29||-21.86%|
|Crude Nymex $||48.52||45.53||6.57%||61.30||-20.85%|
|NIFTY SECTORAL INDICES|
|Sectors||BANK NIFTY||CNX IT||CNX AUTO||CNX FMCG||CNX PHARMA|
|% since Jan||-2.61%||54.25%||11.98%||13.04%||60.50%|
|INDIAN TRADE(USD MILLION)|
|Government Bond 10Y||5.89%|
|Forex Reserves $ M||581130|
|INSTITUTIONAL TRADING ACTIVITY|
|Particulars||FII (Rs. crore)||MF (Rs. crore)|
|Total 1 M||57,564||(7,227)|
|Total Since Jan||65,376||1,64,406|