- Parliament adjourned sine die, ahead of schedule; Lok Sabha registers 82% productivity, Rajya Sabha 47%.
- Bill repealing 3 farm laws gets President’s assent; Cabinet clears draft Bill for linking Aadhaar & voter ID.
- Farmers call off protest after Centre accepts their demands in writing.
- India’s total COVID-19 cases rose to 3,48,38,804; cumulative vaccination coverage exceeds 144.5 crore.
- Omicron tally rose to 1200; Delhi and Maharashtra top the chart.
- India to start administering booster doses for frontline workers and people above 60 from Jan 10.
- COVID-19 vaccine booster dose to be given nine months after second shot.
- Children aged 15 to 17 to be administered Covaxin from Jan 3.
- Centre asks states to impose night curfew, containment zones to curb Omicron spread.
- Govt panel recommends restricted emergency use of Covovax, Corbevax and anti-Covid pill Molnupiravir.
- Himachal Pradesh becomes first state to achieve 100% vaccination.
- Centre releases ₹604 crore to J&K to expedite Jal Jeevan Mission implementation.
- Purvanchal Expressway, Kushinagar Airport, Jewar Airport, Ganga Expressway – among projects announced by PM Modi in poll-bound UP.
- PM Modi inaugurates multiple development projects worth over ₹650 crore in Goa.
- Rajnath Singh inaugurates 27 bridges and 3 roads on LAC and LoC.
- Goa Forward Party, Congress announce alliance ahead of 2022 Assembly polls.
- 14 civilians killed by security forces in Nagaland in a case of mistaken identity; Army orders probe.
- CM Kejriwal launches Dilli Ki Yogshala to help Delhi residents practise yoga under trained teachers.
- Delhi govt extends free ration distribution scheme till May 31.
- AP Govt waives ₹10,000 crore worth home loans of poor under One-Time Settlement (OTS) scheme.
- Cyclone Jawad weakens into deep depression; spares Odisha, Andhra Pradesh any major damage.
- Supreme Court stays proceedings of West Bengal’s Lokur panel probing Pegasus snooping allegations.
- Bhutan confers its highest civilian award on PM Modi on occasion of the country’s National Day.
- India, Central Asian nations vow to fight Afghanistan terror at 3rd India-Central Asia Dialogue.
- Army receives new Israeli Heron drones for deployment in Ladakh sector to boost surveillance along LAC.
- India, Russia hold first ever 2+2 ministerial dialogue; discuss terrorism, Afghanistan, maritime security.
- India-Russia ink AK-203 assault rifle deal, renew 10-year pact for military cooperation.
- Centre approves plan to manufacture 5 lakh AK-203 rifles in UP’s Amethi.
- First Chief of Defence Bipin Rawat, 13 others die in chopper crash in Tamil Nadu’s Coonoor.
- President Kovind confers annual National Awards on International Day of Persons with Disabilities.
- Ex-CM of AP K Rosaiah, Archbishop Desmond Tutu, Nobel Peace prize laureate passes away.
- WHO warns Omicron variant of COVID-19 is spreading at unprecedented rate; reported in 106 countries.
- Countries brace for renewed restrictions amid Omicron surge.
- Global Omicron surge drives cases to record highs in 20 countries; total Covid caseload tops 288.5 million.
- China reports sudden spike in COVID-19 cases ahead of Winter Olympics.
- United Nations adopts resolution on North Korean human rights abuses.
- US President Biden bans import of goods from China’s Xinjiang province to prevent use of forced labour.
- US imposes sweeping human rights sanctions on China, Myanmar and North Korea.
- Biden signs stopgap funding bill to keep government running until mid-February.
- US President Biden signs $770 billion defence bill.
- Russia warns of ‘grave consequences’ after U.S. reaffirms threat of sanctions over Ukraine.
- Olaf Scholz takes over from Angela Merkel as German chancellor.
- Iran steps up uranium enrichment capacity despite talks to salvage nuclear deal.
- UAE switches weekend to Saturday-Sunday from next year.
- Taliban government resumes issuing Afghan passports in Kabul.
- Turkey, Qatar enters into deal with Taliban on running airport of Kabul.
- Pakistan approves its first-ever National Security Policy.
- Myanmar court sentences ousted leader Aung San Suu Kyi to 4 years.
- US, UK, Canada and Australia stage diplomatic boycott of Beijing Winter Olympics.
- WADA reinstates India’s dope testing lab accreditation.
- Indian legend Anju Bobby George wins Woman of the Year Award from World Athletics.
- BWF World Championships: Kidambi Srikanth settles for silver.
- Rohit replaces Kohli as ODI captain, takes over from Rahane as Test vice-captain.
- IPL Retention: Dhoni, Kohli, Rohit, Bumrah, Pant retained; Rahul, Rashid opt to go into auction pool.
- India beat New Zealand by record 372 runs to win Test series 1-0, reclaims top spot in Test Rankings.
- IND vs SA 1st Test: India beat South Africa by 113 runs, take 1-0 lead in 3-match series.
- R Ashwin takes 50 Test wickets for 4th time in calendar year; overtakes Kumble and Harbhajan.
- Ajaz Patel becomes 3rd bowler after Jim Laker, Anil Kumble to take all wickets in an innings.
- Harbhajan Singh, New Zealand’s Ross Taylor, South Africa’s Quinton de Kock announce retirements.
- The Ashes: Australia retain Ashes after thrashing England by an innings for 3-0 series lead.
- Formula 1: Red Bull’s Max Verstappen took his first Formula One title.
- Lewis Hamilton receives knighthood from Prince Of Wales for services to motorsport.
- Government seeks Parliament nod for ₹3.73 lakh crore additional spending this fiscal.
- Cabinet approves ₹76,000-crore incentive scheme for semiconductors, display manufacturing; ₹1,300 crore to promote digital payments.
- 46th GST council meet defers rate hike on textiles.
- PM lays foundation stone of hydropower projects worth over ₹11,000 crore in Mandi, Himachal Pradesh.
- Power minister RK Singh approves 23 new inter-state transmission system projects worth ₹15,893 crore.
- Ministry of Electronics and IT releases national strategy on blockchain for its adoption in govt systems.
- J&K government inks 39 MoUs worth over ₹18,000 crore at maiden realty summit.
- Invest Rajasthan: State govt inks MoUs for ₹36,820 crore in Tamil Nadu.
- Vibrant Gujarat: 16 more MoUs inked for investments in hospitality, defence accessories.
- Odisha extends additional rice distribution for 4 months till 2022 March under State Food Security Scheme.
- Commercial LPG cylinders hiked by ₹100, second price increase since November 1.
- Railways to get ₹20,000 crore in supplementary grants as capital expenditure.
- Government issues advisory against Ed-Tech companies in India, urges citizens to use caution.
- I-T relaxes time till February 2022 for taxpayers to complete verification of FY’20 ITRs.
- RBI extends card tokenisation deadline by 6 months till June-end.
- RBI holds repo rate at 4%; FY21 GDP growth pegged at 9.5%, inflation unchanged at 5.3%.
- United Forum of Bank Unions holds two-day strike to protest the Centre’s plan to privatise PSU banks.
- India Post Payments Bank partners HDFC Bank for banking products, services in semi-urban and rural areas.
- Kotak Mahindra rolls out business with WazirX for Crypto trading.
- Paytm Payments Bank receives ‘scheduled bank’ status from RBI.
- Star Health, Tega Industries, Anand Rathi Wealth, Shriram Properties, RateGain Travel Technologies, MapmyIndia, Metro Brands, MedPlus Health Services, Data Patterns, HP Adhesives, Supriya Lifescience make market debuts.
- WHO approves emergency use listing for Serum Institute’s Covovax.
- DCGI approves Covaxin for emergency use in age group between 12 and 18 years.
- Serum Institute of India delivers first Novavax vaccine batch through COVAX.
- Biocon partners with Tabuk Pharma to commercialise its specialty generic medicines in Middle East.
- DGCA extends ban on scheduled international passenger flights till January 31.
- CCI approves Tata Group acquisition of Air India
- Tata group prepares 100-day plan to improve service, operational standards of Air India.
- Tata Motors signs MoU with Maharashtra Govt to set up a vehicle scrapping facility.
- Tesla gets approval for launch of 3 more models in India.
- Tata Motors incorporates EV subsidiary Tata Passenger Electric Mobility.
- Mercedes gets nod to use hands-free driving system in Germany.
- Bajaj Auto commences work at its new EV facility, roll out in June 2022.
- Murugappa Group enters India’s EV market, rolls out e-auto and cargo three-wheeler under Montra brand.
- DoT releases bank guarantee of around ₹9,200 crore of Airtel, VIL, Jio.
- Airtel, TCS successfully test 5G use cases on Neural Manufacturing solutions.
- Airtel pre-pays ₹15,519 crore to clear all deferred liabilities for spectrum acquired in 2014.
- Qualcomm, Google Cloud announce collaboration to create next-gen mobile AI.
- Vedanta group to invest ₹60,000 crore to set up chip manufacturing unit in India.
- Tech Mahindra acquires 100% stake in Activus Connect for ₹466 crore.
- HCL Tech and apoBank to acquire German IT consulting firm gbs for €99,000.
- Wipro acquires US cybersecurity firm Edgile for $230 million.
- Apple puts Foxconn plant on probation, iPhone 12 production on hold until further notice.
- Oppo signs deal with ISRO to strengthen R&D of NavIC messaging service.
- China tightens scrutiny on offshore listings in sectors off-limits to foreign investment.
- Bharat Petroleum collaborates with Bhabha Atomic Research Centre for Green Hydrogen production.
- UK signs free-trade agreement with Australia to bolster post-Brexit economic ties.
- Pakistan receives $3 billion loan from Saudi as part of economic support package.
- Reliance, Abu Dhabi-based TA’ZIZ form joint venture for $2 billion chemical projects in Ruwais.
- CCI suspends Amazon-Future Group deal citing suppression of information.
- Zee-Sony merger gets approval from board; Sony to hold 50.86% stake in the merged entity.
- Grofers rebrands to Blinkit in line with its 10-min grocery delivery plan; sets up 300 partner stores.
- Flipkart, Walmart invest $145 million in Ninjacart.
- PhonePe becomes first payment platform to tokenise cards on Visa, Mastercard and Rupay.
- NASA awards $415.6 million to Jeff Bezos’ Blue Origin, others for new space hubs.
- Apple’s Tim Cook signs $275 billion deal with Chinese officials to placate China.
- Swiggy and ANRA Technologies conduct first-ever delivery trials of food, medicine with drones.
- Vedanta withdraws cases against govt to settle ₹20,495 crore retro tax dispute.
- UK high court defers decision on Nirav Modi’s appeal against extradition.
- Italy fines Amazon record $1.3 billion for abuse of market dominance.
- Cult.fit acquires RPM fitness, Fitkit, Onefitplus, and Urban Terrain brands in a single transaction.
- Samsung merges Mobile and Consumer Electronics Divisions in management restructuring.
- Health-tech startup Pristyn Care raises $96 million in Series E round, joins Unicorn club.
- China removes 106 apps from app stores citing privacy violations.
- WhatsApp empowers 500 villages in Karnataka, Maharashtra with access to digital payments.
- Workers in New York Vote to Form First Starbucks Union in the US.
- Gita Gopinath to take on new role at IMF as First Deputy Managing Director.
- Senior bureaucrat Alka Upadhyaya appointed National Highways Authority of India Chief.
- RBI appoints Yogesh Dayal as additional director on RBL Bank board for 2 years.
- Centre appoints Atul Kumar Goel as new MD & CEO of Punjab National Bank.
- Infosys scraps COO position after UB Pravin Rao retires, distributes responsibilities among top executives.
- OYO rooms appoints former SBI Chairman Rajnish Kumar as Strategic Group Advisor.
- Jefferies resigns as loan agent for spyware maker NSO Group.
|Indices||31-Dec||30-Nov||%1M||01-Jan||% since Jan|
|Crude Brent $||77.78||70.57||10.22%||66.29||17.33%|
|Crude Nymex $||75.21||67.58||11.29%||61.30||22.69%|
|NIFTY SECTORAL INDICES|
|Sectors||BANK NIFTY||CNX IT||CNX AUTO||CNX FMCG||CNX PHARMA|
|% since Jan||10.52%||146.16%||33.21%||24.30%||76.75%|
|INDIAN TRADE(USD MILLION)|
|Exports in $ Bn||30.04|
|Imports $ Bn||52.94|
|Government Bond 10Y||6.45%|
|Forex Reserves $ M||635080||IIP %||4.30%|
|INSTITUTIONAL TRADING ACTIVITY|
|Particulars||FII(Rs. crore)||MF(Rs. crore)|
|Total 1 M||(20,454)||18,724|
|Total Since Jan||21,532||1,75,991|